Monday, October 13, 2008

Kefir for digestion



























Photo courtesy Tot Snob

Oh how I love my kefir!

Since I've been drinking kefir (see here for more), taking coconut oil and applying it topically, my dermatitis has disappeared. I'm amazed. Nothing has worked for me like this! Also I've found my bowel movements have improved, I'm not as hungry, I don't get a bloated feeling and.... I'VE FINALLY KICKED MY FLU!! Oh and I've maintained my weight, despite the lack of training these last few weeks. It just goes to show that good nutrition is 75% of the battle when it comes to losing weight. "If exercise is the father of health, nutrition is his wife."

This has been the morning ritual:

Kefired Banana Smoothie

1 1/2 cups freshly made kefir
1 ripe banana
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1 teaspoon unpasturised honey
Pinch nutmeg
Pinch cinnamon
Handful of ice

If I know lunch is going to be late I'll also throw a raw egg in there too.

I wanted to give the body for life challenge a red hot go and I've lost the momentum from a few weeks ago. So, today (since I'm feeling so much better) I've decided to start my challenge over. I've got my first weights session in three weeks (...gasp!) - arms tonight. I wonder how I'll do? If I've lost strength or maintained?

Another little detail... because I've been so sick for so long, I'm going to kick start my training with a 21 day detox. I've just finished reading Dr Joshi's Holistic Detox. Hopefully it will give me the energy and build up my immune system against another unwanted relapse. (Yes, don't chastise me because I've read another nutrition book! I'm working my way through the whole library...)

To Enjoy

The emphasis is on lots of fresh akaline forming greens, proteins (I'm using vegetarian sources - fermented soy, cottage cheese, feta cheese, yoghurt, kefir and eggs), whole grains and legumes (avoiding wheat or yeast) and cold pressed oils.

To Avoid

Sugar, wheat, yeast, gluten, alcohol, coffee (caffeine), fruit (except bananas), red meat and all artificial or processed foods are not allowed. Dairy is limited.

I eat very healthy already, but this will step it up a notch to help me recover more quickly.

4 comments:

djmadmike said...

very nice and well though blog clean and awesome pictures i enjoyed
www.blackfitnessblog.com

Robin Plan said...

Excellent post about Kefir. I've started making my own kefir also and love it.

Great blog and thank you for sharing.
Robin

Matt said...

Hello ,

Im writing you in regard to exchanging links with your site and hope you will consider my proposal. I happened to come across your site and I actually
have one that's related to yours and I thought it would be beneficial for us to do a blogroll link exchange. Please let me know if you're
interested and I'll put your link up right away.

All I would need to know if your desired link, and anchor text. I will return with my information.

As always, they would be follow links.

Additionally, I have sites in many categories that we could exchange on.

Thanks you for your time and I truly hope to hear back from you.

Regards,

Matt
rimfiregroup [at] gmail

Skinny Mum said...

Sure Matt, sounds good as long as it is health related... what is your site and I'll check it out!