Monday, May 12, 2008

Intermittent Fasting










There's been a lot of talk about Intermittent Fasting.

In a nutshell you just alternate eating days. The plan combines the benefits of fasting (better insulin response, detoxifying waste tissues and metabolising fat) with a Paleo-style eating plan. Check here for IF and here for the Paleo low down.

I'll be doing a 30 day challenge over at The IF Life, and posting my progress here. I've let my nutrition go of late and am going to snap back into my old healthy habits. I could also use a kick in the pants to get my exercise happening more regularly. I'm using this month to refresh and refocus.

Here are my goals for the 30 days.
1. Lose a few kilograms and gain some muscle tone back
2. Walk an hour each day and do a weights session twice a week
3. Treat my body with respect and give it HQ nutrition
4. Increase my cardio fitness to the point where I can easily run 2kms at full speed (not a big deal I know, but huge for me! I'm strong, but unfit.)
5. Feel more energised!

There seems to be a number of different intermittent fasting regimens that work well. I'll be setting up my cutoff time at 7pm. On the day I start, I'll eat until 7pm, then fast until 7pm the next day. On the next day I'll eat supper right after 7pm and breakfast and lunch (and a few snacks) the next day, until 7pm when I start fasting again.

The advantage of this regimen is that I'll be able to eat every day. One day I'll eat supper–the next day breakfast and lunch. On no days will I abstain entirely from food. This plan looks like it will work the best for me.

The method may seem a bit confusing at first. To summarize:

Day 1: eat bf & lunch (eat before 7pm)
Day 2: eat dinner (start eating after 7pm)
Day 3: eat bf & lunch (eat before 7pm)
Day 4: just like day 2... & repeat....

So basically it goes like this - / dinner-lunch-breakfast / fast / dinner-lunch-breakfast / fast /
Simple.

I've taken some before snaps to help keep me motivated and I will post them here when I complete the challenge.If anyone wants to join me, feel free to comment and I'll buddy up with you!

No comments: