Friday, September 12, 2008

The perils of... walking?










Photo courtesy Trevor's Birding

Yesterday I was swooped not once but FOUR times.

Here I am, walking my puppies, it's a lovely sunny day... The grass is green and wet with shining dew, nice and quiet, no one was around. I was in the moment, soaking it up. Next thing I know, out of the blue, I feel a wind on my cheek and a snapping sound in my ear! I jumped about 2 feet in the air and screamed. (Must have looked funny because the dogs turned around and were eyeing me strangely.)

So I'm scanning the skies trying to figure out what just happened, when I spy a stealthy magpie sitting not far away on a light post. Aha! I started yelling at it and waving my arms like a crazy person while trying to walk away.... Despite my bravado, it was undeterred and hurtled towards me with kamakaze zeal. What does a sensible girl do?

I RAN. All the while screaming, jumping around, making empty threats and dragging the confused dogs behind me. Talk about a high intensity cardio workout!

The scariest part was how it kept snapping it's beak right next to my head. Some of my friends have had bleeding gashes in their heads from magpie attacks, so I was totally freaked! It must have been nesting in the park, the strange thing was, the area it was patrolling was the size of a football field, so you can imagine how hard it was to get away. Pure evil. But they do sing nice sometimes, I'll give them that.

I've been told they don't swoop if you have eyes painted on the back of a hat... but I think I'll avoid the area for the rest of the month!

I'm up to day 12, so far so good! My measurements are down by a centimetre on my waist and hips, although I've not lost scale weight yet. I'm not concerned, as long as my clothes are beginning to feel looser and I'm getting toned and terrific! I've got a legs session tonight and then we're off to ice skating, double whammy.

This morning we have our local farmer's markets, I'm dangerously low on veggies, it's amazing how much I've been eating! I'm like a hungry, hungry hippo! Should I invest in a bigger fridge? Strawberries are in season... last week I got 2kg for $5! Used them up in fresh strawberry smoothies.


Strawberry Super Smoothie
500gms hulled fresh strawberries
2 scoops of vanilla protein powder
5 big ice cubes
Pinch of cinnamon and nutmeg
1/2 cup whole milk
Teaspoon of honey

Blend. If it's too thick add a little ice water and blend to the desired consistency. SO GOOD. Pink deliciousness! Serves 2. (I drink it all by myself though...)

No comments: